Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Paging Miss Manners

I sell a few CDs, videos and books on Amazon, as all three of my loyal readers know. I only occasionally e-mail to inform customers that a shipment is coming; it seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? You order, and the seller delivers. I have never felt that the etiquette requirements extend beyond this, unless the customer inquires about a purchase.

Obviously, I need a lesson in customer care. I got one today.

I ordered a Dexter Romweber CD (of indie southern rock duo Flat Duo Jets fame)from an Amazon Marketplace seller last night. And a few minutes ago, I received this e-mail:

Hi, thanks for your order. Nibbles and his bunny brothers have taken your CD from our shelves, inspected and polished it with their whiskers to make sure it was in the best condition. They packed it with hay and they hopped on down the street to the post office to send off your package on this very day. Nibbles and his brothers can't wait for you to come back shop with us again some time. Thank you once again.

This is cute, right? Almost Kute with a capital "K", right? And if I was buying children's lit, or a Wiggles DVD, I'd be all about it. But I bought a Dexter Romweber CD, a badass motherf**cking indie guitar god who inspired the White Stripes... I'm not so sure that the bunnies really wanted to polish a CD that begins with "Rockin' Dead Man" and ends with "Prison Called Life".

But maybe Miss Manners wants us to send little notes to our customers. I'll have to think about this.

NTD

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

I'm thinkin' the bunnies and cutsie tack is a little over the top but it's not a bad idea. I'm sure you'd think of something cooler! I ordered a CD once directly from the artist's site and she sent a handwritten note of thanks that I thought was pretty neat.