Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wilderness: Just Call Me Marlin Perkins

We have a cat who lives about half of his waking life on our porch here in south Georgia. He's not OUR cat; he belongs to somebody around here. We call him Homer (as in the Greek author of the Iliad, not Father of Bart). My daughter named him for his relentless meowing, which she believes are elaborate epics he wants to share. His friend Joan the cat sometimes stops by... she's Joan of Arc, named for her considerable courage. I observed her once blocking a hawk from swooping down on our neighborhood chicken. She and the chicken have been pretty tight buddies ever since.

I've owned this house on a residential street less than three blocks from the courthouse since 1993. It has become my personal wildlife sanctuary. I was thinking about it this morning, about how many different critters have lived here or just visited.

Wildlife I have loved watching in my yard includes:
- a deer who quietly wandered across the grass around 3 a.m. once
- bats around the pecan trees at dusk
- an eagle that landed on a large branch for a rest
- the frog that lives in the weeds I used to call a garden
- honeybees in the azalea bushes
- barred owls
- the little green lizards underneath the porch
- bluebirds and cardinals and thrashers
- compost-loving opossums
- butterflies and moths

Wildlife I have wished would move on (or finally did):
- the rat that crawled out of the fireplace and ate my Birkenstock
- the squirrels that tap dance in the attic
- fire ants
- giant man-eating mosquitoes
- termites
- clouds of gnats
- palmetto bugs and silverfish
- bedbugs (tea tree oil and lots of hot water did the trick)
- one mentally ill poodle who wandered away from my neighbor's house

I hope to move permanently to my other home in the mountains within a year. But the thought of leaving this place makes me nostalgic - in advance - for everything that south Georgia is to me.

Except for the gnats, mosquitoes, fire ants and the roaches. There are some things that I won't miss.

NTD

3 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

You've had quite the menagerie!
We've had bats fly down our chimney and up through the house about 10 times...yuck! Also had various birds, mice and chipmunks brought in by my cats looking for our congrats for providing us with dinner, but then they do the catch and release thing inside the house just to shake things up a little!

I'd love to live in a place like your mountain home. Didn't you sell that last year? Will you buy another?

the naked tapdancer said...

I sold the mountain cabin... good memory! But the house near Asheville is the one I live halftime in, and spend the remainder down here in Georgia. The cabin was the one I hoped to semi-retire to and had made all the plans for until the mold took over. So - like everyone else - Plan B took over.

Mother of Invention said...

Hope you get another some day when you retire!