Saturday, March 22, 2008

World Water Day

I consider myself a conservative water user - American style, at least. I don't shower every day. I don't flush at night. I limit paper and plastic products, and rarely buy bottled water since learning that manufacturing the plastic bottle itself requires an average of 1.5 gallons of water. So, on the morning of World Water Day 2008 (today) I confidently bounced right over to an online water use meter to calculate my water footprint. You can find this calculator here:

http://www.h2oconserve.org

But damn - because of my gasoline usage, my consumption of dairy and some meat, and a few other conservation busters - I am only about a hundred gallons below the national average. Which means that it still takes over a thousand gallons of water per day to keep my lifestyle going.

I'm so embarrassed.

NTD

No comments: