Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Torture Music

My daughter Anna is trying to make a torture CD. So far, all she has come up with is the song "Muskrat Love", the Captain and Tennille version. Of course, this is a perfect choice. So I suggested listening to a couple of my personal albums - Soft, Safe and Sanitized, and of course Pat Boone's In A Metal Mood. But she doesn't want terrible covers so much as terrible originals, which makes the work more challenging.

But any good mother wants to rise to the challenge. So I have been digging through YouTube and Amazon, looking for genuinely horrible memories - not new discoveries, but those repressed tunes which were long forgotten until now.

Here's eight songs which were actual hits which I experienced (except one, which I first heard as an eighties cover) back in the day. I can't wait to show them to Anna after school:

1. They're Coming to Take Me Away by Napoleon XIV
2. An Open Letter to My Teenage Son by Victor Lundberg
3. He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss) by The Crystals
4. This Girl is a Woman Now by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
5. Once You Understand by Think
6. Mercy Rewrote My Life by Tammy Faye Bakker
7. You Never Done It Like That by Captain and Tennille
8. Never Been to Me by Charlene

All of these golden memories, by the way, can be relived via YouTube.

NTD

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

How 'bout "Love will keep us together", "You Light Up My Life" and "Lady In Red"?!!
Then there's all the Barry Manilow hits..although I heard he puts on a really good concert.