Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Something To All

Although the agnostic fairies visited me years ago and took away any dogma surrounding This Special Season, my kneejerk reaction to sending customers from my shop remains those same two words I learned in my youth - Merry Christmas. However, in order to avoid unsmiling radical lesbian Wiccan shoppers who seem to enjoy nothing more than an overlong explanation of why those two words - M.C. - are a lingering symptom of my enslavement to the patriarchal system, I have learned to wish you and yours a mere Happy Holidays instead. Have a joyous KwanzHannukahful New Year too.

It was a long holiday retail month - kinda slow till the last week, which makes the season excruciating. Shop talk would have to include the following - an employee who belongs in Clerks 3: Revenge of the Bitter College Graduate, one flim flam artist, the usual shoplifters, timewasters, and the occasional kindly patron who actually buys assorted merchandise with great courtesy and wads of cash money. And I thank the retail gods for that last category.

NTD

No comments: