Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Sticker Challenge

My friend Brad decided to go back into the sticker business and needed a partner. Actually, he has the ideas, the festivals lined up, and the old screens - but no money. So I bought the chopper, the emulsion, and the vinyl, and soon we'll be some sort of casual business partners. If this works out, I'll buy a button maker too - my friend Srini began his sticker/button/shirt business at unamerican.com and stickernation.com years ago and has found a sizable black-and-white rebellion market out there. Maybe it's time for two middle-aged people who can no longer find a grilled cheese on a Ratdog parking lot to find another source of secondary income. Brad and I have huddled on Mexican blankets and beneath moldering EZ-Ups since the early nineties selling his t-shirts and my jewelry, his airbrushed chairs and my American Spirit cigarettes, his stone and cholla cactus pipes and my Grateful Dead pinback buttons. But tour is going away - Jerry Garcia died almost twelve years ago, Phish broke up and Widespread Panic just doesn't always host the renegade parking lot vendor scene which used to be profitable. I gave most of it up over the last couple of years, only occasionally getting the travel bug and heading up to Atlanta, to Memphis and sometimes beyond.

Now I have to come up with ideas for my share of the vinyl. I brainstormed yesterday afternoon and consulted with my daughter. We came up with a few themes and ripoffs:

Trendy Themes: Cthulu, Veganism, Unicorns, Zombies, Gnomes, Belly Dancing
Perennial Favorites: Beer, Marijuana (Bong Hits for Jesus, Anyone?), Dogs
Subjects We Hope To Make Into National Trends: Tofu, Bluegrass, Pluto

But we're still working on it.

NTD

No comments: