Wednesday, March 7, 2007

bean counter blues

It's that time again, when every random receipt is held up to the light and scrutinized in order to answer the burning question of the moment: is this a business expense? or is it eligible for itemizing? or is it just paper scavenged from a Taco Bell bag and accidentally thrown into the Envelope of Blessed Tax Relief?

This has been my evening entertainment since Friday. I also have been watching a double-feature nightly in order to ease the pain - but not too much. I'm clearing out the VHS collection of forgettable low-budget B movies which accumulate as the unsalable leftovers of my Amazon Marketplace Seller collection. When I can sit through country star Jerry Reed's vanity tale of drug addiction and redemption via brotherly love in What Comes Around and then boldly pair it with the eighties Italian-American True Love - a wretched comedy involving garish blouses held up by shoulder pads and the men who love the shoulders underneath it all - it somehow all lessens the pain of posting four hundred checks by hand in an old-fashioned ledger book (yes, I refuse to modernize and use the computer).

Tonight I will peruse the possibilities... I think that I'm in the mood for something Australian in that bland way that drives one to smack one's self on the forehead and exclaim, "This film is not just freewheeling and artsy, it's a boring piece of ****!". Or maybe something notoriously awful from the blaxploitation shelf. I'm thinking Rudy Ray Moore.

In any case, today is the day that I hope to get prepared to drop the entire financial mess at the accountant's. And it cannot appear to be the mess that it is right now.

NTD

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

Good luck with the income tax. I hate it..I get my husband's accountant to do it since I can't get my non-math brain around it.
Enjoy your movie-fest!