Monday, January 22, 2007

view from a hot tub

A hot tub is a dangerous thing. It's like the best of mind-altering substances... dom perignon, or Berkeley lsd, or repeated viewings of Casablanca, or a Taj Mahal concert. The steaming pool shifts one's perspective, particularly when said hot tub is on a deck hanging off a cliff overlooking several miles of valley rising up to the higher foothills/smaller mountains of the Tennessee portion of the Appalachian mountains. Especially when the temperature hovers in the lower thirties and the cold air/hot water is a yinyang of blissful sensation. At the moment that the Godiva martini shoots its chocolatey-vodka goodness into maximum intracranial stimulation at the hypothalamus or wherever the experts believe that pleasure resides most fully... I do believe that ecstatic experience was achieved, and without the difficult contortions and techniques suggested from ancient texts. I'm sorry, universe; but sometimes a modern American woman just wants a vacation.

Everything has been different since the baptism by hot tub last week. I gave my newspaper notice for the editing job; in two weeks I will be no longer editing puff pieces and fifth-rate submissions. It's back to political commentary and interviews, and maybe I will have time now to consider short fiction. I bought flower seeds and peat pots, a reishi mushroom kit, and am considering xm radio. Sunflowers and Deep Track classic rock is my future. For my shop I ordered the largest selection of tarot decks I've ever carried.

I hope that I am not turning into a midlife flake.

Peace, love and swirling jets of hot water for all -

NTD

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

Glad you had a peak experience in a hot tub! HA! HA! Good luck on this new job venture and the blog also. Sounds like you needed a change. Happy hot-tubbing as well!