Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I don't believe in writer's block

"I don't believe in writer's block." - Grady Tripp, played by Michael Douglas, The Wonder Boys

Well, I generally don't either, Grady. Especially in my own writing, because it generally consists these days of producing, per month:

- two political columns for three newspapers.
- an average of ten blog entries.
- several personal e-mails in which I try to approximate wit.

This is hardly the prolific output of a Stephen King here. So it is frustrating when I have difficulty with my smallish, modest writing schedule.

Today I want to race ahead on my political column schedule so that I am not struggling three hours before deadline. About two good opening paragraphs on a half dozen subjects practically write themselves before the inevitable descent into bullshit reveals the hard truth: that I don't really have any grasp on a revelation, and lack the interest to make something happen here.

I suppose that the Great Truth is revealed: I need More Coffee. This isn't writer's block, damn it. This is a mild caffeine withdrawal symptom.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

NTD

No comments: