Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Heart Hyphens

I spilled my Shredded Wheat on the keyboard the other day. There are three keys which have not worked ever since: the five, the six, and the hyphen. Rather than plugging in a spare keyboard to replace the faulty one, we have been adjusting to the change. I was definitely becoming too hyphen dependent... in fact, I am jonesing to use one right this second, and am substituting the melodramatic ellipsis instead. I've also gotten a little more high faluting with an increase in semicolons and colons. Alternating between semicolons and ellipsis, my writing resembles the ramblings of a depressed spinster English professor.

Project for the day: replace the keyboard....

NTD

3 comments:

goatman said...

I am not sure of the grammatical application for the ellipsis but I use hyphens all the time.
Was milk involved?

the naked tapdancer said...

Well...shredded wheat without milk is like a day without sunshine, so it appears that the cereal was not acting alone.

Mother of Invention said...

Good thing it wasn't hot oatmeal!!!