Wednesday, October 3, 2007

not-so-funny girl

I had determined to go for humor in my newspaper column this week, although the subject was to be named later. I read and read, taking too many breaks to check on Britney and my favorite bloggers and generally investing many hours yesterday on favorite movie trivia (I love you imdb.com!) and the usual Wikipedia fact-checking, which included Very Important Stuff like how many years older Paul Simon is than his wife Edie Brickell (25!). Then there were YouTube viewings of vintage Steve Earle and recent Ray Wylie Hubbard videos and, you know, I realize that it's a good thing I'm self-employed because any office cubicle co-worker could be led to believe that I am Wasting Time when in actuality I am doing RESEARCH.

But at 7 a.m. this morning I got up and wrote 958 very sober words on Blackwater shootouts and how much we pay the families of dead Iraqi civilians. The column turned out very well, but is a little short on humor. For some reason I regard myself as a funny person, but tend to gravitate toward the most serious subjects when it's time to publish.

Looking forward to turning my giggle box over again sometime soon...

NTD

No comments: